Saturday, January 14, 2017

Monarch for the Week

According to my Internet research, a monarchy is a form of government with a single ruler. Heredity is how one makes it to the throne. There are variations of monarchies dating back to the Middle Ages. A monarch often refers to his or her land as the kingdom. Some monarchies are absolute. Some are constitutional. I did not dedicate time to understand the difference.

All I know is that I was the Monarch of the Mill, taking my throne on Monday, January 9th. Unlike traditional monarchies, a family dynasty had nothing to do with me being chosen. I simply had sipped on enough coffees at Mill House Cafe in Westmont to be eligible for the seat. Mill House has a one-week lottery system for its monarchy, which I believe makes it unconstitutional and surely not absolute. On the morning of the 9th, I received the call.

A barista, a young nobleman, left a voicemail on my cell phone declaring my position. As monarch, I had zero responsibility. I had the opportunity to receive free coffee for the week and my name would be visible to the townspeople. In my kitchen, I hugged my wife, now empress.

Once my daughter awoke and was delivered the news, our royal family traveled by automobile to the Mill. My child did not comprehend the ceremonial nature of this visit; however, she was excited for the prospect of a blueberry muffin.

For quite some time, Mill House has been a part of my road trip to work. My love for travel is sometimes fulfilled by their collection of coffees - Nutty Irishman, Jamaican Paradise, Scottish Highlander, and so on. As I drive over Ligonier Mountain, I sip on foreign lands and drift down memory lane. I had the blessing to travel the Irish countryside and honeymoon in Jamaica. Maybe one day I will hike in Scotland.

During my week as monarch, I made multiple stops at the Mill. When with family, I was entertained by the daughter who knows me only as "Dad" and sometimes instructs me to "get out of here". She believes in her personal space no matter my title. She got a few laughs out of the welcoming Mill House staff.

Even though I had no responsibility as monarch, I listened to the chatter of the common man. Throughout the week, I heard people talking about church initiatives, demographic studies, and casual small town U.S.A. talk. I concluded that the Mill was a locale for ideas, business, friends, and family. I am glad it is a mill in operation. Keep making good coffee and opening the door to good people.

Alas, my reign comes to an end. I hit a deer on the 1st and was a servant to auto repair. By the 9th, I was a monarch. The ebb and flow of life.

This Monday, I'll make my way back over Ligonier Mountain. No longer prestigious, I'll stop at Mill House, grateful for my good fortune and for a small business doing it right.







No comments:

Post a Comment