Sunday, January 8, 2017

Still Great

As part of my daughter's 2nd birthday celebration, we planned on seeing the movie "Sing" @ Westwood Plaza Theatre and Cafe. It was a great family matinee and I would like to think a tribute to the man who brought this movie experience to the community.

A day before our 12:30 showing, I read that Andy Lasky, founder of the Theatre, passed away. While I did not know him personally, I remembered him as the movie man from my childhood. As film-goers would find their seats, he often walked up and down the aisle with a smile. He would sometimes give a sneak preview of what the audience was about to see. For a grade school kid, Mr. Lasky was a showman.

"Sing", Illumination Entertainment's latest animated hit, stars an ambitious koala bear, Mr. Buster Moon. Koalas are known to be sleepy, uninspired tree dwellers, but Mr. Moon is not your average koala. He is a theatre owner desperate to keep his business afloat. A series of animal antics and musical performances put Mr. Moon's ambition to the test.

On a snowy Saturday afternoon, Westwood Plaza Theatre was full of families eager to find out if Buster Moon could pull this off. Kids and popcorn were scattered everywhere. My daughter was dancing to the opening musical numbers and sleeping through the credits. As I walked out the Theatre, I imagined a smiling Mr. Lasky. I think he would have enjoyed seeing this crowd.

Mr. Lasky brought a movie business to town that still stands. It survived changes in ownership, changes in demographics, and a fire. Without spoiling "Sing", I can tell you that Mr. Moon has to use his survival instincts. Water, not fire, becomes the biggest obstacle in the koala's path.

The movie and the Theatre left me with a positive feeling. Work hard. Never lose hope. And, if you come together, you might just come out on top.

Go see "Sing" @ Westwood Plaza Theatre and Cafe. The Great Cheap Date is not as cheap as it once was, but it is just as great. I think you will be entertained, and just maybe, there is a lesson to be learned - from the legacy of a local entrepreneur who founded the Theatre and a determined koala bear who lights it up.







No comments:

Post a Comment