Sunday, April 2, 2017

Pick Your Battles

Running and music continue to enrich my life. On the first day of April, the combination of the two was a true victory.

In the neighboring county of Indiana, the Road Runners organized the Fool's Run. The Indiana Road Runners Club has been around since the 1980s and this was the 39th time for Fools to Run. With a touch of chill and mist, a 5K and 10K took off into the Indiana streets. This Dad is all about 5Ks. I've got 10K in my wheelhouse; however, after a 10K I might find myself aching around the house. 5K Fool I am.

It was my first time on this course and the uphill challenge of Mile 2 was no surprise for us spring chickens running the race. This is because we ran down the hill during Mile 1. More like a wise man, I paced myself in order to complete the climb. When I saw the finish line, I sprinted to the finish. The first run of the 2017 season was in the books.

And since Positive Johnstown is a fact-based blog, I must write that I finished in first place in the illustrious 30-34 year old male division.

(Hold writing for Applause)

Additional fact: I was the only 30 to 34 year old male out of the 71 5K participants.

(Continue to Applaud)

This was the perfect start to my running season. When I returned to my household of ladies, we took a powerful nap. My 2-year-old covered me like a blanket. I may have sweat more during that nap than in the 5K. My wife had the luxury of our 2-week-old; 20+ pounds lighter and much less squirmy.

Upon coming to our senses, my wife asked if I would go on a date with her for Battle of the Acoustics. I assumed she was still dreaming as we have two small children. The only music we have listened to lately is an endless stream of Moana ballads. She explained that her mother offered to watch both rugrats in order for us to go into battle. I fired up the Subaru.

Flood City Cafe continues to be a rock of positivity in the city. We walked into a packed venue for local musicians to let it fly. There was a countdown clock and a bunch of caffeinated people surrounding the stage. Eight different acts performed covers and original songs. From Stevie Wonder to Nelly. Fuel to Queen. Guitars. Harmonicas. Feet stomps. Coffee spills. Laughing kids. Serious looking judges. Serious looking parents when the coffee spilled.

It was awesome.

Not only did we get out of the house, but we saw and heard the best that Johnstown has to offer. Those performances and that crowd was a trail mix of positivity. I don't know where everyone came from and where they returned to, but it was Flood City fun. Musicians offered messages of loving your neighbor, finding connection with others, and singing the songs that have stood the test of time.

My wife and I sung the songs we knew and enjoyed the ones we never heard before. When we returned to parenting, our rockstar daughters were having separate concerts. One was performing a cry for milk. The other was recording a gibberish soundtrack. Best performances of the night.

Every time I run a race, I listen to that initial sound of feet hitting the pavement. It does not matter why you are running, you are a part of that rhythm. To the 70 other fools, thanks for coming out. And thank you to all the people who clapped as one during the Battle of the Acoustics. While on the move and in my seat, I was proud to be in the crowd.

I am blessed with the health to run and blessed by those who can carry a tune, play the guitar, and inspire others through music. I'll stick to learning Moana songs.

Go out and support local races and music. If you are not a runner, walk. If you do not like to walk, cheer. If you play an instrument, find a venue. Flood City Cafe is dynamite.

Thank you Indiana Road Runners, Flood City Cafe, and each and every act in the Battle of the Acoustics. I got up early to write this blog before my rockstars arose.

Pick your battles.

And looking ahead...

For 2017, I'd like to preview the next race in my running calendar. Hopefully, this will inspire others to sign up and be a part of the race day community. If you are reading this and are a man between 30-34 years old, bring it on.

The Wings of Hope 5K/10K is scheduled for 9:00 A.M. on Saturday, April 15th. I do this event each year. Great course. Great cause. I plan on running this one with my 2-year-old daughter in a stroller. This is a warning.

Hope to see you there.






No comments:

Post a Comment