Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Running & Treats

Any type of movement and any type of treat seems to satisfy my two-year-old. At 33, I find similar satisfaction in getting going and refueling. This April, we are attacking the streets and the sweets together.

This past Saturday was the 10th edition of the Wings of Hope. This 5K/10K race in Richland is dedicated to the memory of those who lost their battle to cancer and to local residents still fighting. As I laced up on Saturday morning, I thought about my uncle who is fighting that fight. It was perfect weather to get out and run and to appreciate the physical health that makes each mile possible. A perfect race to think about Uncle Pep as I chugged along.

While the 5K is familiar territory for this road runner, I am a newbie to the stroller run. Wings of Hope was the Stephenson stroller debut. I have put a lot of miles on it, but none on the run. The first precaution I took was to remove my daughter's shoes. I feared she would kick them off in a fit of excitement or protest. She needed to sit back, put on her sunglasses and let Dad drive. And to her credit, she gave me 25 minutes of cooperation and camaraderie.

In the initial seconds of the run, she exclaimed a plane was in the sky. Dozens of runners heard this news update. Once the race opened up, she stuck to some unintelligible self-talk and sporadic "Go Dad" inspirations.  Down the stretch, I could feel and see her wiggling around. With huff-and-puff instruction, I tried my best to motivate her to stay put. You do not want to be the Stroller Dad whose kid falls out. She hung on. 

My wife and youngest daughter were there to watch our final turn. Mission accomplished. And now, the treats. 

Some, if not all, the calories burned in a 5K can quickly be loaded back on. Wings of Hope had a nice spread. I went with a blueberry muffin and pecan roll. Daughter dearest went with a pink Easter bunny cookie. We did it. 

Each year, Wings of Hope is a well organized and worthy cause. It makes me appreciate my health, my family, and a community that knows how to rally around a meaningful pursuit. Some of the money raised at this event will go towards helping local cancer patients. If you are out there, keep fighting. 

Easter was the next day and this led to a bombardment of candy. Then, Shaffer's Frosty Freeze opened on Tuesday. This was the 60th season of Shaffer's. People were lined up almost on to Somerset Pike to get some soft serve. It looked like a line to a rock concert or the premiere roller coaster at the amusement park. If you drive by Shaffer's, it is just a shack in gravel. If you have Shaffer's ice cream, you've tasted a Johnstown landmark. It has stood the test of time and my wife stood in line for over a half hour to get our teaberry and chocolate/banana treats. I explored the parking lot during that half hour with the two-year-old who was given back her shoes. She was determined to walk a 5K around Shaffer's. 

Alas, this weekend is the Donut Dash. 


This race combines a good cause with one of the most notorious not-good-for-you foods. It benefits teens in Indiana County attending a camp this summer. I benefit from it because my daughter and I get another 3.1 miles together with guaranteed treats no matter our time. 

At some point, running satisfaction might dwindle and my doctor might recommend to cut back on the treats. 

But for now, its sweet. 











No comments:

Post a Comment