Thursday, May 4, 2017

Inspiration of All Ages

Two Johnstown residents, separated by 70+ years, gave me a boost this past week. One is recovering from a fall. The other seems determined to keep climbing.

When I heard that my wife's grandmother severely injured her shoulder, my immediate thought was she could still enjoy the Golf Channel, gobs, and her grandchildren. This triple threats of "Gs" would help her on the road to recovery. And another "G" - God - has been her guiding light all the years I have known her.

And while Gram stayed positive yet frustratingly immobile, my 8-year-old goddaughter had a spirited burst at Our Mother of Sorrows' Service Saturday. This monthly event provides parishioners with an opportunity to make a difference in the community through a variety of projects. My contribution was leading a team of youngsters into Stackhouse Park. Our mission - pick up litter and clear the forest for the chipmunks and squirrels. My goddaughter is an ambitious animal.

With a smile on her face, she traveled far and wide for trash. She found a bucket and used it as her garbage can. She filled it up and dumped it in the bag I hauled up and down the park. During our mission, she talked about school, family, vacation, and planning - this girl loves to plan. When she discovered two tennis balls, she did not view them as garbage. They were gifts for the neighbor dog.

We walked and talked at least three miles that morning. Every step of the way she was positive and passionate about getting the job done. Without her, I would not have tackled some of the terrain. With her, I was proud to be a godfather.

Getting old and growing up is not easy. As Gram works to get shoulder rotation, my goddaughter revolves in her own little world. While they have separate challenges ahead, they are linked by a hopeful and humorous attitude. Some smiles are unbreakable.

Thank you Gram and goddaughter. Keep smiling. Keep working. Keep making Johnstown a better place.


No comments:

Post a Comment