Saturday, May 27, 2017

Wealth of Water


The Plunge

On the 3rd Saturday of the month, my 2nd daughter got baptized. Her big sister was excited for the plunge and is simply excited about everything. Our youngest was poised while our eldest was our babbling brook. The Saint Michael's priest was experienced in baptizing our offspring. His humorous and honest approach to the baptism was greatly appreciated. This sacrament was jammed into a busy night for him. His evening schedule was in harmony with our life - a blessed bonanza. 

The Swim 

Twice a week, my 2-year-old enters the Johnstown YWCA pool and gets 30 minutes of water work in. She has a strong support team of women: mom, grandma, and two swimming instructors. She has always loved the water and her aquatic skills are improving each session. I sometimes watch through the glass above. In this Dad perch, I am thankful for the women helping my ambitious daughter. The YWCA's slogan "empowering women" is visible.

The Flood

Each year, I participate in the 5K event of The Path of the Flood Historic Races. The 2017 edition had rain soaked runners tearing through the city. The Johnstown Area Heritage Association has built this annual event into a celebration of our region. Prior to the race, I walked toward the entrance of the trail in East Conemaugh. There is a plaque that summarizes what happened on May 31, 1889. Pictures show the aftermath and the power of that water.

Event organizers have flipped a historic tragedy into a healthy dedication. As I looked at that plaque, I took pride in being a Johnstown resident; proud of the generations before me who survived and ultimately prospered. My grandparents raised a family in Conemaugh. My Pap loved to walk around town. Now, I run through Johnstown grateful for the family he led and loved.

The Point 

Water links these three separate experiences. It symbolized the beginning of my daughter's spiritual life. It has given my other daughter an opportunity to release her seemingly endless energy. It fell upon me as I crossed the finish line.

Water will always be a tragic part of Johnstown history. It can be a triumphant part of our future.





No comments:

Post a Comment