Monday, October 16, 2017

Family Feast

As I have grown up and grown with Johnstown, I have had the good fortune to eat good food courtesy of good people. This past week was a reminder of how a community is connected by the hard work of families who call Johnstown home.

On Thursday night, my wife and I attended a Spangler Subaru event inside the War Memorial - now known as 1st Summit Arena. When I moved back to Johnstown in 2008, I purchased a used, green Subaru Outback. I was a one-man wrecking crew in that family wagon. The hatchback was full of sports equipment, tools I did not know how to use, and camping gear. It smelled like a single man.

That Subaru eventually went to Outback Heaven and I eventually got married and had kids. We have two Outbacks that smell like children. The hatchbacks are full of baby equipment, hiking gear to strap kids into, and tools I do not know how to use are buried under wipes and blankets. I am running the gauntlet of a Spangler Subaru Outback life and enjoying the ride.

Inside the Stars and Stripes Lounge, my wife and I welcomed a night away from the kiddos. It was an opportunity to relax and pretend like we were in the market for a 2018 Subaru Crosstrek. There was live music and food to enjoy. We talked to another couple about adventures in parenting. Promotional videos played. My brand loyalty to Subaru has a lot to do with safety, cargo space and all-wheel drive. It also has a lot to do with the family that drives the local dealership. Before I ever bought an Outback, I was in the same grade school as the owner's kids. Our paths have crossed at golf outings, weddings, and community events. Spangler Subaru supports Stackhouse Park which supports me when I need an outdoor escape after a car ride of craziness.

Two nights later, we drove our nicest Outback (Carlos) to another event and again we did not have our bundles of joy.  Our oldest Outback (Carla) rested on the street. I never named a vehicle until I began dating my future wife. I found it ridiculous to name a car, so I stuck with names as close to "car" as possible. Rest in Peace, Carl.

On this outstanding second date night of the week, we headed to the Johnstown airport to celebrate 75 years of Sunseri Wholesale. Back in the glory days of Carl, I delivered fruit baskets for this family owned and operated business. The best man in my wedding is high up on the food chain at Sunseri's. His father, highest on that chain, counted on me being jolly as I delivered fruit all over the land. I put on my Santa hat and went to work.

Many of us Christmas fruit basket deliverers still joke about delivery moments, like when I drove down Main Street the wrong way. Or when I drove up a snowy, treacherous hill to deliver a basket to whom I presumed to be The Grinch due to the ascent. Somehow, Carl successfully completed the climb and that family got their fruit. All-wheel drive all the way to the top.

This past Saturday night was not focused on fruit basket tales, but on how a one-man business became a family's legacy. Sunseri's is everything that is great about Johnstown. Generations of dedication have kept their wholesale business going and growing. My wife and I shared stories with business owners who count on Sunseri's. The room was full of families who are a part of my food autobiography. I'd love to make a family tree focused on Santo's pizza intake. It would be preposterous. From my parents to my brother to now my family, Santo's sauce is running through our veins. My brother and the owner go to the same church. The pizza is good, but the people are better.

Then, there is Clark's Corner Store. Their candy propelled me through childhood. Their breakfast pizza kicked off my wedding day and my brother's wedding day. The owner's son was my grade school quarterback. He had a great arm for a middle schooler, must have ate a lot of breakfast pizza. Instead of a cake, my wife and I cut into a Clark's gob after we tied the knot. That cornerstore has been a part of some big moments.

And at this 75th anniversary party, when we weren't sharing stories, we ate.  Flair of Country Catering is nowhere close to seven + decades of service, but they are off to one great start. It is a Johnstown success story. An ambitious, talented chef goes big and comes home with it. He doesn't buy a Subaru. He buys a mobile kitchen and launches an event planning, food making, countryside crossing business. Sunseri's started by one man traveling to Chambersburg for peaches 75 years ago. Hard work starts somewhere. Go big. Stay home - your food is awesome.

Finally, I attended Cafe Sunday at Mill House Cafe to put it all in perspective. A lyric from the opening song reads, "Come to the table, whoever is hungry / Eat from the banquet that will satisfy". I am blessed with a great family. If it weren't for my parents and my wife's parents and for friends who are family, date nights wouldn't be possible. Our community is full of small business owners making great food and greater memories. And above all, it is faith that keeps me grounded in gratitude.

Cheers to all those in the community who make Johnstown a great place. Let's keep growing. I'm proud to be a part of this feast.













No comments:

Post a Comment