Monday, October 23, 2017

All Over October

I find greatness in this month of ghouls and goblins. Before Halloween concludes the October glory, there are fun, local events that spice up autumn. Jump on board our family's chronological crazy train:

Hallowboo

I had not been to Idlewild Park since the Clinton adminstration. Our country tis of thee has changed mightily since then, but by golly, Storybook Forest is still a lovable wilderness of characters. Our Saturday started with the first ever Hallowboo 5K. I sprinted to the finish to beat a man dressed as a hot dog. I was wearing a Dory winter hat. I was one hot fish. By all Pennsylvania fall standards, this first Saturday of October was a scorcher. We had enough SPF 55 to protect all of Storybook Forest.

Another ecosystem of Idlewild is Jumpin' Jungle. There is nothing like the ball pit, a place where laughter and germs reign. While giggling with my 2-year-old, all I could think about was the innocence of youth and the need for a shower.

My daughter needed to be 36 inches tall to do the monstrous cargo net. She is about 35 inches. When she was denied access due to height, she walked away, head and spirits down. Quivering, she turned to her Mom and Dad and belted out, "But, I'm strong!"  It was a beautiful, heart wrenching, battle cry. My wife was moved to tears. I got the chills. I shared in her disappointment. I really wanted to do that cargo net.

Seconds later, my daughter and I were all smiles, back in the germ pit.

I wanted to be Dad, the hero, and win my daughter a stuffed animal later in the day. I paid to shoot a baskeball. I practiced my form. I made multiple eye contacts with my daughter to make sure she was witnessing greatness. With perfect form, my shot hit the roof. Miraculously, the ball ricocheted directly into the hoop. She won a pink monkey and named him Cherries. Hero Dad. Hero Dad.

Bedford Fall Foliage Festival

There was no need to bundle up for Bedford. The day after Hallowboo, we were on foot and surrounded by foliage and folks. My wife and I have made Bedford's autumn party our Christmas shopping spree. With two kids strapped to us, we  looked more like refugees on this humid Sunday. Carrying an assortment of objects and our children, onlookers probably were perplexed. Does that family need help? Where are they headed?  Why have they come?

Do not be mistaken, it is a pleasant, annual adventure. This was our youngest's first Bedford FFF. She was my wife's weighted vest. Our oldest was my shoulder strength training. Both offspring fell asleep at just the right time- lunch at Jean Bonnet Tavern.

This Lincoln Highway landmark has the unique combo of good grub and goats. Outside the tavern, a group of goats have a cozy little community that overlooks the parking lot. After her nap, my nature loving 2-year-old bonded with one goat in particular, a silly animal who shoved his head through the fence for more intimacy. I got a little nervous. I did not need a goat to get his head stuck. My daughter already got rejected by Jumpin' Jungle height laws. The last thing we need is for her to lock eyes with a suffocating goat.

The goat awkwardly found freedom. I drove home.


Fort Ligonier Days

We back-to-backed festival weekends. My wife and I are all-in when it comes to autumn. I give a lot of credit to the staff, volunteers, vendors, and performers who make these festivals what they are. The Ligonier Days parade is a well-orchestrated odyssey.

Our foursome stood in the sun for close to an hour taking in the parade. My oldest daughter was suprisingly enthralled by Chewbacca. She recognized the Pirate Parrot. She listened to high school bands in a studious, almost expressionless, manner. Escaping the autumn sun, we ate lunch at The Kitchen on Main. We could still watch the parade and go potty. Winner, winner, let's get home by dinner.

After feeling nourished, we took to the streets. Our ice cream loving child made polite pleads for a sweet treat. Mint chocolate chip it was. My daughter and I ate it on a grassy knoll. In September 1758, brave men began building Fort Ligonier. In October 2017, a courageous Dad built a mint chocolate chip memory. George Washington would be proud.

American Red Cross Vampire 5K

In my hometown running career, I have never participated in this blood sucker until this year. It was a diverse turnout. There was a family of Ninja Turtles. Forrest Gump was the race director. There was a man with a hideous baby mask in a baby blue suit. I was a sweaty Dory. In Johnstown, October is the new July.

A sincere thank you to the staff and volunteers who put this race on and to all those in the community who ran or walked. I see some of the same faces at these events and meet new people. It is refreshing to see this cross section of community - young and old, men and women, costumed and not-costumed - exercising and supporting a worthy cause.

I plan on being back next year, maybe not as Dory, but back and out for blood.


ARToberFEST

I can run. I can write. I cannot art. In grade school, art projects were my terror. I did not create art. I created stress trying to do art. Thankfully, I graduated grade school and I am now a functioning artless adult. The Community Arts Center of Cambria County had this event for artists of all ages. I had to work, but my wife described the masterpiece.

My 2-year-old got to Picasso a pumpkin. She also made a flowery piece of art that I cannot decipher. She now uses it is like an umbrella inside the house. It is not a practical practice.  For one, our home has a roof. Secondly, I don't believe the flowers would keep her dry in a rainstorm. Aha, art is for creators and imaginations.

She found time to eat two hot dogs and get an animal painted on her hand. She requested a brown snake, a popular, feminine, seasonal choice. I would have loved to see my daughter holding a hot dog with a brown snaked hand. That's my girl. That's my girl.

Community Fire Prevention Day

Let's end with some educational heat. It has been one hot October. I am thankful for the great weather we had and the great people who put events like this together - and all the events I wrote about above. It is during this time of year that I really love living in this plot of land.

Once again, this is a short story from the perspective of my wife. The fire prevention day was held in the Westwood Plaza parking lot.  Our 2-year-old received candy upon entry. She received "fire truck swag". She met Smokey the Bear and found him to be intimidating. A police officer gave my daughter a whistle. That's a good way to ward off Smokey and drive Dad insane. A "Jaws of Life" demonstration was completed. A helicopter landing was executed.

I'm not exactly sure what my daughter learned on this day or what she will remember about her 2-year-old October, but I know this - there is a lot to do in Johnstown; there is a lot to do in our region; this is a great place to live; this a great place to be a Dad.

Next October, my daughter will be tall enough to climb that cargo net, but I learned from her words - life is not about height, it's about strength.

Each of us can make this community stronger by supporting each other. I'll never be an artist, but Johnstown is my hometown canvas and the picture keeps getting better.









No comments:

Post a Comment