Sunday, December 3, 2017

Dad Exercise: Holiday Season

In the weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I feel obligated to take advantage of sunlight and whatever warmth is available. With no sign of snow, it is time to go, go, go...

Stroller Dad - Forest

On the Saturday after Thanksgiving, I led an adventure team into Stackhouse Park. One of the best investments my wife and I ever made was purchasing a dynamic and seemingly indestructible stroller. Our team was comprised of my youngest daughter, riding in the dream stroller pushed by yours truly; her mother, traveling by foot; mother's maid of honor, the maid of honor's sister, and the maid of honor's father - each of whom marched with a leashed canine. It was a sight to behold. Our eldest daughter did not behold this spectacle. She was in the cozy confines of my parents', fully invested in a nap.

We weaved through the park and each other. Dogs and Dads crisscrossed. My daughter was fascinated by the frolicking. I had to focus on obstacles - loose rocks, intersecting leashes, chatting women in our party, water hazards, and mud. We conquered 2 to 3 miles of terrain. My daughter was asleep by the end and I was ready for a nap.

Stroller Dad - Residential 

The thermometer reached 50+ degrees on the final Tuesday of November. Venturing from my parents' abode in Westmont, my youngest and I were once again stroller partners. The wife and wisest child were to meet us at the newly renovated Engh Field. 50+ Johnstown dwellers took advantage of a new playground and unseasonable sun.

While the walk was a workout, my Engh playground experience was a combo of cardio and strength training. My 2-year-old burst out of the Subaru and hit the ground running. When supervising your daughter at a playground, there is a mine field.to navigate - reckless boys, less than savvy swingers, the dreaded wet slide, and a multitude of hot spots for falling. I did a lot of pivoting and spotting. At one point, I was at the jungle gym's summit, pleading with my daughter to make a decision. A boy was about to trample me or push me down the ladder. He looked bewildered.  He said nothing, but his eyes said,  "What is the grown man doing this far up?"  

My daughter eventually got herself out of that precarious position. I can't remember how, but we found safe harbor. Engh Field is a great new playground. If  December Dads are lucky, we will be back at Engh and we will go home without any injuries.

Yoga Dad 

Yoga is a humbling, ancient practice. My experience is limited, but every now and then, I yoga. Riek's Country Store in Brownstown transforms into a Saturday morning sanctuary for the exercise. For the first session of December, I accompanied my wife to begin the weekend. What was great about this yoga experience was my Dad Island, an isolated spot for me to be my best yoga-self. While a room full of women prepared for the class, I laid on my mat in the country store's kitchen. I was invisible to the instructor and everyone else. I had to rely solely on my ears and follow instruction. And at times, I followed my heart, and just laid there. Perfectly content on Dad Island, surrounded by kitchen aromas.

When I got home, I ate pancakes.

Running Dad

On Sunday, our family went to Sunnehanna Country Club for a holiday brunch. It was a food and family gauntlet. Surrounded by children, I carbo loaded. Taking full advantage of brunch is a parental obligation. Leave no Eggs Benedict behind. By the time Santa arrived, I was ready to curl up and dream of dancing sugar plums, even though I have no idea what a dancing sugar plum would look like or what that even is.

My oldest daughter and I napped hard when we got home. Just like her when she got to Engh Field, I took off running after my nap. I entered Stackhouse, tore through Crystal Trail, and dashed into Westmont like Dasher. Passing the Inclined Plane, I counted my blessings and how many plates I had for brunch. Descending into Brownstown, I was ready to get back to my girls.

I reentered the home, took a shower, and watched Little Mermaid for my cool down.

As Christmas draws near, find happiness and humor in the little things. Be good to your family and I hope Mother Nature continues to be good to us.

Let it sun. Let it sun. Let it sun.









No comments:

Post a Comment