Monday, November 20, 2017

To the Top this Thanksgiving


This past Friday marked my 12th race of the calendar year. Downtown Johnstown's Santa Run served as my grand finale of 2017. My oldest daughter, a soon to be 3-year-old standout, has evolved into a seasoned vet when it comes to racing. She was my partner-in-time for five races this year, including this 2-mile scoot for Santa. 

I am thankful for the moments I've shared with her on race day. As a proud Stroller Dad, I push her and she pushes me. While on the move, she sometimes inquires about pending treats or delivers a news story from earlier in the week. She occasionally belts out a "Go Dad!" She is often stoic. She never complains and never asks to stop. She is my thrill ride. 

When we got to the finish line on Friday, she was delighted by the candy cane and medal. The Christmas Parade and Light Up Night was about to begin. We weaved our way through the big crowd in search of Mom, Baby Sis, family, and friends. Downtown was full - of people, of spirit, and of purpose. It was a brisk and beautiful night.

On Saturday morning, it rained. It rained hard. The beauty of Friday turned into a beast of a Saturday. Welcome to Johnstown. I  signed up to volunteer for the restoration of an Inclined Plane trail earlier in the week. I left the woman and children and headed for the great outdoors. Leave no trail behind.

The project's leader was now my partner-in-mud. It was just me, him, and slop. For one water-logged hour, we got after it. A trench was dug. Rocks were hurled. Water gushed out of our freshly laid drainage pipe. Watching the water shoot out, I thought about the day when my daughters and I will hike this trail to the top - the whole way to the top.

On Sunday, spiritual messages centered on growth - personal and communal. If you stepped foot downtown on Friday night or on that Inclined Plane trail after the Saturday mudslide, you would have observed growth. You would have been a part of development. I heard the words "vibrant", "awesome", "alive" and "joy" to describe Friday. I can tell you Saturday was painfully awesome and my boots are still wet. Two drastically different events with one striking similarity - community members are coming together.

Enjoy your turkey. Enjoy our town. See you at the top.










No comments:

Post a Comment