Saturday, April 7, 2018

Rabbit Reflections

The build up and breakdown of Easter 2018 was a basket full of questions. There was calm. There was chaos. Jesus rose. A baby gate fell. As parents, this is what we are pondering.

1. How do you stop the madness?

Our 3-year-old is currently in a sleeping regression partnered with aggression. In bursts of nighttime angst, she has transformed into a Donkey Kong-like creature. In a slumber strike, she rampages through her gate, storming the castle in which we try to find rest. Her 1-year-old sister, a sleeping phenom, refuses to let this noisy lunacy break her dreams. Meanwhile, her parents have tried a range of interventions in search of peace. Snuggling Donkey Kong has been the only successful strategy to date. It is an emotional juggernaut of a snuggle. 

2. What is Mother Nature doing?

Johnstown weather is in a split personality crisis right now. At one point last week, a cyclone of leaves was being swept into the air as snow fell and the sun shined. It was like spring, fall, and winter decided to join forces. Summer was nowhere to be found. Summer is in witness protection. I shoveled snow this morning. I wanted to throw the shovel in the street, but I am not Donkey Kong. I am a father and have to set a good example.


3. Will I be running 40 years from now?

My wife and I participated in the 40th running of the Fool's Run this weekend. This Indiana road race originated in 1979 and is still going strong. I ran the 5K and my wife walked the hilly course. It was a frosty start and a sunny finish. My wife crossed the finish line with a gentleman who ran in the inaugural event. They helped pace each other and she appreciated his stride-by-stride company. I have met a lot of good people in my running life. No matter the cause or location, these local runs are a celebration of community. One day, I hope to be the wise athlete leading young folks down a trail of glory. 

4. Who is going to eat all this candy?

Our family and friends are delusional. The amount of Easter candy in our house is preposterous - a dentist's dread and a parent's nightmare. Trick-or-treaters will be shocked when they get a Reese's Egg from our house. Happy Halloween. 

5. What would I do without this stroller?

I have documented it before and it is worth repeating, our super stroller has revolutionized my exercise circuit. On the Saturday before Easter, I took off running in the Wings of Hope 5K, an event I participate in annually, typically kicking off the racing season. The past two years, I have pushed my oldest, chatty child. She is a peach on wheels each and every time we take off running. Wings of Hope is a local organization that raises money for cancer research and community members fighting the disease. I am blessed with good health and a great side kick. To all those fighting cancer, stay hopeful. I'll keep pushing my daughter in this race until she can't fit in the stroller. Then, it is her sister's turn. Then, I'll sign up for the walk and talk about my days of glory to anyone who will listen. Then, my girls will get college scholarships and I'll live happily ever after. 

6. How do you describe the impact music has?

At Our Mother of Sorrows' Easter Vigil mass, I was Donkey Konged by the singing of a community. When we take our children to church, my wife and I are ping pong parenting. Scripture is read and sippy cups are slung. On Easter Eve, our children stayed at home with my saintly mother. My wife and I got to experience a powerful harmony of hymns. The choir and the people lit up the church with music. If my kids were there, they would have screamed in unending joy and threw sippy cups like grenades. 

It was awesome and inspiring. To everyone who sang on that night, thanks. 

7.  What will tomorrow bring?

With two little girls, two jobs, and two brains, my wife and I are going full speed ahead. The snowstorms, sleepless storms, and sugar storms are all worth it. Faith and humor keep our motors running. 

Sleep well, Johnstown. And if you don't, nap hard tomorrow. 







No comments:

Post a Comment