Friday, March 30, 2018

Trivial Triumph

On Tuesday night of Easter week, a community of trivia stalwarts filled the Boulevard Grill banquet room. Trivia provides adults the opportunity to evaluate what they know, what they never knew, and what they have forgotten. This night had a little bit of everything in support of one local organization.

Mom's House was established in 1983. The organization appeared to have a simple and impactful purpose - help single mothers. That purpose has endured. A year after the foundation of Mom's House, I came into the world. My world consisted of two, hard working, loving parents. Those parents still live in the house where I grew up. They have evolved into two retired, loving grandparents to our two daughters. The hard work endures.

I was blessed and am blessed by my parents. I learned a lot on this trivia Tuesday - about Calvin Coolidge, the compass, Deion Sanders, the trumpet, Miles Davis, the unicorn - but the biggest light bulb shined on parenting. One of my teammates was my wife. We have answered a lot of life's questions together. Recently, we have been unable to answer the question, "How do you get your 3-year-old to go to bed?" The journey continues. My kids are the ultimate trivial pursuit. My wife is the true champion.

When four rambunctious rounds of trivia were in the books, our Super 7 finished 2nd. It was actually the round centered on numbers that ended up being critical in our leaderboard charge. It would have been nice to finish first, but sometimes 2 feels better than 1.

Support Mom's House and the monumental challenge that is single parenting. In my 3+ years as "Dad", I cannot imagine where I would be, where my kids would be, without "Mom"; without my parents; without my wife's parents; without the Johnstown community.

Thank you Mom's House, Boulevard Grill, and to all those parents giving it their best.










No comments:

Post a Comment