Saturday, October 13, 2018

Farm to Table

 As a youngster, I remember the glory and majesty of the field trip. On Friday, I was part of a barnyard brigade led by the teachers @ Geneva Preschool. Amongst 3 and 4 year-olds, I found glory once more in the great outdoors. Here is a recap of a morning @ the Schantz Haus Farm in Davidsville.

Shout with the Sheep

The experience began with an adrenaline pump. Small children eyed up sheep. The sheep, eyes incredibly far apart, approached the children. Between the parties, a fence. Let the loud begin. Outnumbered but not to be intimidated, sheep shouts seized the autumn air. On a brisk October morning, a half dozen or so sheep defeated a dozen + kids in a weird noises showdown.

Hay Ride

For logistical and psychological purposes, the 3 and 4 year-olds were separated after the sheep start. The 3-year-olds and their families got the first shot at the hay ride. I believe this was a strategic move. If the tractor would break down, 4-year-olds would deal better with the disappointment of not getting to do a hay ride. They are more mature. Plus, if the tractor breaks down with a bunch of 3-years-old onboard, they are less inclined to identify tractor terror.

Making a climb up a grassy knoll, our 76-year-old tractor felt much like the Little Engine That Could. Surrounded by corn fields, it felt like we were going to end up in one. Alas, our resident farmer and tractor puller got us to the summit. After surviving the trek, we laid eyes on the graveyard where the founder of Johnstown, Joseph Johns, is laid to rest. It was a beautiful view. We got a little history lesson and got out of there before a 3-year-old asked if bodies are buried under those statutes.

Red Angus

For the cow encounter, I focused on one cow that was different than all the rest. I was working on colors with my 1-year-old. Calling this unique mooing beast "brown", I was embarassed. It was actually a "red" angus. Leave the teaching for the educators and the farmers, Dad. That's what my youngest daughter said to me...with her nonverbals.

The Big Machine

If desired, each kid got to climb up a monstrous farm machine and pretend to drive. I have no idea what this big-wheeled thing does. During the explanation, my youngest daughter was fascinated by a rock and I pretended to be; just two cave dwellers roaming the farm. Both my kids got behind the wheel. This was the scariest part of the field trip.

The Big Pee

For the grand finale, we got to go into the sheep enclosure. Think Running of the Bulls except instead of Spain, it's Pennsylvania and there is a wind chill factor. Then, my 3-year-old declares she has to pee. As I wrote last week, there is no thrill in easy access to a bathroom. Escaping a sheep stampede and following a farmer to the potty...now that's glory.

Lunch

What better place to eat after all that farm fun than Crow's Nest?  Keeping the animal theme going, we had great grub. We got a table for 6 for our family of 4. We need extra chairs to climb and excess table to color, spill, push silverware, and pass snacks. Thankfully, our kids left to try to play billards and lottery machines.

A special Thank You to those who teach and those who farm. Geneva Preschool has been a blessing. The Schantz Haus Farm was one happy hay ride of a day. I'm glad I went and we didn't tip over.

Can't wait for my next field trip!







No comments:

Post a Comment