Monday, October 1, 2018

Weekend of Dad

On the final Friday of September, my wife drove to Virginia for a family wedding. She returned on Sunday afternoon. I was master and commander of our home. Separated by 26 months, my daughters were my primary responsibility. The breakdown:

Dance Dad

Right out of the gates - a true test. While my parents watched my youngest, I took my 3-year-old to ballet and tap class at Concepts Dance Studio on Friday night. This was my first time in a dance studio; not as a father, but as a human. My daughter was unaware of how unqualified I was. Surrounded by Dance Moms and behind the glass window, I awkwardly stood, pretending I was at a hockey game.

Post-dance I made sure to congratulate my daughter. I focused on how dedicated she was in keeping a straight line during a ballet sequence. This was because I was geninuely impressed and it was the only honest commentary I could make. A special "Thank You" to the Concepts instructors.

LET'S GO PENS!

Daddy Dia

To conclude the evening, my girls and I watched Momma Mia on Netflix. This is not because we were looking for symmetry after dance class. This is because my 1-year-old yearns for Momma Mia on a daily basis. I believe she has dance and sung with Meryl Streep every day since mid-August.

Run Dad

On Saturday morning, I ran away. It was planned. My parents watched my Thelma and Louise while I participated in the 10th running of the Conemaugh Que Classic, a glorious autumn 5K. Six autumns prior,  I laced up for my first 5K at the Quemahoming Dam. I had no kids. I was 4 months into marriage. In 2018, it felt weird to be at the Que Classic with no wife, no kids, and to have a post-race cinnamon roll I did not have to share.

I ate the whole thing.

Party Dad

Hours later, I was at a 1-year-old's birthday party. It was outside and featured a gated balloon community (a designated driveway area for balloons and children, featuring a protective pad to roll upon), a bubble machine, an ice cream sundae bar, crafts galore, cheese curls, and of course, fire. Parents talked to parents about how easy life was. When we got home, my 3-year-old fell asleep at 6:50 PM and slept until 6:00 AM on Sunday. I can't wait for this kid's 2nd birthday.

Leap of Faith Dad

Our family regularly attends a fellowship known as Cafe Sunday @ Mill House Cafe in Westmont. It gives our children creative license when it comes to Bible learning. I am all about exposing my daughters to a spiritual smorgasbord and so far, so good. Mill House Sundays has evolved into something I absolutely look forward to and my kids get a kick out of the experience. "Meditations of my heart" was the big takeway on the final Sunday of September.

I love my girls and was ready for my wife to come home.

Friendship Dad

But, there was still one more adventure. I picked up my mother and it was all aboard to Friendship Park in Ligonier. As part of our American Ninja Warrior circuit, Friendship Park offers a wide-range of challenges including a rock wall, shaky, ascending bridge, and a gigantic mushroom balance test. I pretend to be a highly paid announcer to the Ninja Sisters.

After the exercise, we refueled at Carol and Dave's Roadhouse. We toasted to our achievements on the outdoor deck. A pesky bumble bee yearned for our lemonade like it was Momma Mia. My family survived and some how, so did the bee.

Mom!

When we got home, my daughters and I welcomed our leader back. Mom was proud of our adventures and glad there were no catastrophes. From dancing to running to partying to faith leaping to Ninja warrioring, we did it.

As Abba says, "having the time of your life!"

Lawn Mower Dad

I cut the grass to conclude the weekend. Sorry, Meryl. This isn't a Greek island. This is real life.








No comments:

Post a Comment