Saturday, March 21, 2020

Spring Saturday Top 10

Sheltered. Secluded. Survival. In troubled times, humor needs to shine like Saturday's sun. This all happened in a 24 hour springtime span:

#10: Professor Daddy Diddums

Alter-ego. From now until question mark, I am Professor Daddy Diddums. Don't worry about the name or why we started school on a Saturday. This is a makeshift operation. I am the educator. My daughters are my pupils. They would not respect my classroom if I were Dad. When I become Professor Daddy Diddums, I am Harvard educated and my students value my wisdom. We have an animal of the day (octopus) and we combine multiple disciplines, including gym and art. Special guest today - Bob Ross on Netflix. Thanks, Bob. Let's color this canvas!

#9: Geography Lesson

At one point after school my 3-year-old was looking for me. My wife told her I was on another planet. My 3-year-old found me in the dining room. She declared, "Dad, this is not Jupiter. This is a home."

#8: Teaching on the Trail

Before lunch, my daughters and I made the Stackhouse Park descent via the Brownstown Trail. It was rocky and riveting. My 5-year-old warrior was on foot. My 3-year-old was strapped to my back. I pushed our adventure stroller the whole way knowing I would need it for the ascent. My favorite teacher of all-time is Mother Nature. There is no one like her.

#7:  Words Not Needed

As I was making my way back to my front yard, I was Dad sweating; pushing a 45 pound sandbag and carrying a 30 pound potato sack. I looked up and saw the bright lights...of a Fed Ex truck. As it drove by, the driver gave the most empathic thumbs-up I have ever received. I could see his smiling silhouette through the window. In this era of social distance, it was an incredible man-to-man moment. Respect, Fed Ex driver. Respect.

#6: Coast-to-Coast Connect

Throughout the day, I made calls to friends across the country; from Washington State to South Carolina; Portland, Oregon, San Francisco Bay and Greensburg, PA. Friendship is a blessing. Keep fighting the good fight Mary, Dave, Tim, Ben, and Jeff. Miles apart yet in this together.

#5: Mac-and-Cheese Connect

The apocalyptic meal of choice is mac-and-cheese. It satisfies each and every soul unless you don't have a soul. And if you don't have a soul, this blog can't help you.

#4. Tent Thrashing

My daughters love when I fold a tent in half and shake it psychotically with them in it. From the street, this is terrifying theatre; a grown man just violently vibrating a tent. But, inside the tent, there is pure joy and madness. And, I will thrash that tent until they ask me to stop. Or, the police command me to stop. I thrashed the tent from approximately 3:00 to 3:15 PM on Saturday. Great bicep workout. Johnstown Police. Respect.

#3: Wagon Ride

After dinner, our family of 4 went on a wagon ride. I pulled. My daughters rode. My wife pushed. 50% of us got a cardiovascular workout. 100% of us got fresh air. 0% of us were in the house. 100% win.

#2: The Evergreens Live

This Johnstown duo has enriched our lives with music, positivity, and friendship. They put on a Facebook Live performance on Saturday night that was the essence of resilience. The music will keep playing. The connection shall not cease. Our family put on our Evergreens T-shirts. We got weird. We connected. We appreciated. Amanda and Laurel - your melodies make magic. The evergreen tree often towers over its competition. Ladies, keep growing, keep going, and keep playing!

#1: Together

I have a hard time staying in one place. Today was no exception, yet this week has been unlike no other I have experienced on Planet Earth. Yet, I still have faith in Mother Nature; have the love of family; have the support of friends; have a community I call home.

Love and laugh. My 3-year-old peed on a yoga mat this week.

Namaste.









No comments:

Post a Comment