Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Stay Positive

The lead story every day moving forward will be the number of confirmed cases. Each community will attempt to confirm or collect positivity without much connection. It is going to be difficult and unpredictable. I'll respond with predictable positivity. It might not be easy yet if there is anything I want to teach my kids it is this; every day, your lead story, can be gratitude. Choose to be grateful. 

I was in the middle of writing a blog related to all the positive experiences I have had recently in Johnstown when life began to change. My kids had a blast on Leap Day at the Heritage Discovery Center in Cambria City. That same night, my wife and I attended an annual tradition, Copernicus Day at the Boulevard Grill. Jacob plays an amazing accordion. Even if you are bunkered down in some basement, keep playing Jacob.  Our family attended Nature Works, an event where Bottleworks transforms into a maze of natural and recreational wonder. We had fun and observed - for the 3rd straight year - a community on the move. 

Now, we are quite still. It is weird. It is alarming. It is uneasy. Stackhouse Park remains my refuge. I have gone on many a March hike, listening to the birds chatter. One day, I walked snow covered trails in the morning only to walk green paths in the late afternoon. Talk about dramatic change. 

In the days and weeks ahead, individuals, families, small businesses, and big plans will be put to the test. Health, security, risks, and rewards will overwhelm our world. Point out the positive if the overwhelming is transforming to overpowering. 

My youngest daughter celebrated her 3rd birthday on this Saint Patrick's Day. She was healthy. She felt secure - two loving parents, a strong sister, and a Mr. Potato Head Hulk - yes, there is a Mr. Potato Head Hulk. If you have lost all hope, welcome back. There is a Mr. Potato Head Hulk. 

My daughter risked jumping off her bed and waiting until the last second to go pee. She played until she was overwhelmed by the need to nap. We have had three rewarding years of her. 

Here we go, Johnstown. Take care of yourself. Take care of each other. Support small businesses. See the bigger picture. Call upon Mr. Potato Head Hulk when you need him most. 

No matter what happens, be grateful. 






No comments:

Post a Comment