Thursday, January 7, 2021

Peace in the Park

 Tonight our family went to Central Park in downtown Johnstown for one last hoorah for oh Christmas tree. We danced around that towering, shiny evergreen as if dancing was the only thing that mattered. 

I refuse to concede to the notion that these are "dark days". I choose to live in the light. To dance under the glow of that Christmas tree. To be a role model for my girls. To appreciate my freedom of speech yet enjoy moments of joy without having to voice anything. To go into a public place to enjoy the view instead of singularly motivated to express a view.

And defining greatness is not neccessary and utterly subjective. As a responsible adult, why not just dance. Let kids know it is perfectly ok to be vulnerable. This world is far from perfect and nothing is normal. Life is abnormal. Get use to it, mask or no mask. As my oldest daughter turns the corner to age 6, her wisdom, empathy, and curiosity continues to amaze me. 

I am grateful that during these days of light, I shared some unbelievable experiences with her. I am far from perfect yet I am grateful. Grateful that I did not waste precious time judging others entangled in a world wide web of adult arrogance and ignorance. My daughter and I reflected upon the idea of letting tomorrow worry about tomorrow. Let's be our best today. Let that curiosity parachute in each and every day. Let creativity explode. Ride a tidal wave of kindness. If you do, you will end up on the beach. If you forget about kindness, you will find yourself lost at sea. 

I challenge everyone who reads this blog to enter a park this month. Breathe in fresh air. If you are lucky enough to have the legs and lungs to walk a path, do it. There are plenty of people who don't have that fortune. Plenty of people who lost that fortune over the last 12 months. And you don't have to wear a t-shirt or hat declaring an affiliation. You don't have to pick a side. Pick a path. You don't have to protest. By keeping your thoughts to yourself, you might actually gain perspective. There is scientific evidence that suggests that simply being amongst trees is therapeutic. Watching my family dance around that tree tonight, it probably didn't look like therapy and more like lunacy. I choose to be that lunatic. That Girl Dad unafraid of hip shaking and risk taking. 

The Christmas spirit was present tonight in downtown Johnstown. It was present because of the tree. It was present because of the music. It was present because we were present. Living in a moment. Showing our kids that Christmas is not one day. It is a season. It is a celebration there for the taking. All we have to do is show up. 

And as adults, maybe we just shut up and listen. 

Maybe a curious and creative kid will teach us something. 








 




No comments:

Post a Comment