Sunday, November 20, 2016

A Purposeful Walk

Before the wind and snow on the third Saturday of November, there was sun. Service Saturdays, an Our Mother of Sorrows parish initiative, has been a part of my weekends for much of 2016. Once a month, I am the Stackhouse guy.

Stackhouse Park has always been my peaceful retreat. Long before Service Saturdays, I was walking, hiking, and running those trails. As a kid, Stackhouse was where my dog and I went on adventures. As a father, it is where I clear my head and get lost in nature. On Service Saturdays, it is where I feel good about being a part of a caring community.

One Saturday of each month, a small group of volunteers comes together to be of service. Heading to the woods is not the only option. Some people make mats for the homeless. Some go to a nursing home and serve by spending time with others. There is prayer service, gardening service, odd job service...

The point and purpose is working together - separate projects with a unified goal. In October, the Stackhouse team stacked wood in preparation for winter. In November, we picked up as much trash as we could before winter showed up.

I branched off with a couple who were participating in their first Service Saturday. I typically do not walk into the woods with strangers, but on this morning, I certainly did. You get to know a lot about someone after two hours of garbage time in the forest. It was a fun two hours.

Within five minutes into the excursion, I came upon unlikely litter - a bowling ball. This was a preposterous beginning to our morning. Imagine someone standing near a tree line and pretending it is the alley. After that laugh, I got to know my service partners. I acted as Stackhouse tour guy for this couple. They were new to Johnstown and still adapting to their new home. We talked about our families, grocery shopping, the holidays, and church. We competitively tried to eagle eye any trash along the way.

When we made the climb out of the park, we had done our duty. Dozens of plastic bottles and miscellaneous trash were placed where they belong. The gloves came off and we shook hands. I appreciated their willingness to contribute and how together, we found humor in the woods.

I love being the Stackhouse guy and love meeting new people in the park I am grateful for.







No comments:

Post a Comment