Saturday, November 26, 2016

Basketball & The Boulevard

In 2002, I graduated high school. My graduation party was held at the Boulevard Grill. Friends, many of whom were my basketball teammates, united with my family to usher me off into the college ranks. While much has changed since that glorious high school graduation party, my love for basketball and the BLVD has not.

Flash forward to the Friday after this Thanksgiving. I am 32-years-old and the elder statesman in the Westmont Hilltop alumni basketball game. I am a bearded father running around with 20-somethings. I am subjected to "old man" jokes and my high school coach asking if I need more time to stretch. I jam my ring finger within the first ten minutes of action. Sub, please.

The alumni game put me back in the gym where I have many memories of competition and camaraderie. Westmont provided me four years of quality education and basketball coaches who pushed me to work hard. I no longer put hard work into my basketball game, but I certainly have applied on the court lessons to off the court challenges. I was thankful for another opportunity to play in that gym even if I was the front runner for the Lifetime Achievement Award.

Our group got to see some of the high school expansion project and rooms that look nothing like they once did. Following the tour, we gathered at BLVD for some grub. This restaurant has become the celebratory center for myself and my family. From graduations to baptisms to birthdays to rehearsal dinners to Mom & Dad nights out, the Boulevard Grill is our go-to. My daughter proudly owns a BLVD Girl onesie.

My coach got to meet that daughter at the BLVD. He also fixed my jammed finger in a non-emergency surgery near the pool table. We shared some laughs from the past and talked about the future of Westmont basketball. In the present, it felt good to be in a friendly Johnstown restaurant with a group of people who enjoyed their days in high school athletics.

As our local schools continue to compete against each other, I hope they produce more and more graduates who catalog a positive sports experience. And a greater hope is that some of those graduates stick around and build the Johnstown community.

Basketball has taught me a lot and I will keep playing as long as I can. And if I ever win that Lifetime Achievement Award, I'll know where to have the after party.






No comments:

Post a Comment