Saturday, November 5, 2016

Morley's Run

For the past five Novembers, I have run in the 5 Mile Morley's Run. It is a scenic path that supports the The Tribune Democrat Newspaper in Education Program. Brisk to start and shining sun at the finish, here is the good I saw at the 2016 race:

Greater Johnstown Community Chorus
With the American flag waving in the distance, this chorus sang our national anthem to kickoff the event. A patriotic thank you to the men and women who stood on the cold ground at 9:00 A.M. to sing the runners off.

Inclined Plane 
This historic part of Johnstown was a welcomed sight for all participants. One, because it is a great view. Two, because it is a friendly reminder that the race is downhill.

Stackhouse Park
As runners approached the park entrance, volunteers made sure to shout out that leaves could be Morley's first hazard. I looked up at Our Mother of Sorrows church before taking on the leaves. I was reminded of the eight years I spent in that schoolyard; eight years of a chaotic time known as recess.

I have so many great memories of my OMOS education and the park that connects Westmont to the West End. The straight shot path out of the park was full of autumn colors and the promise that the sun was about to makes its presence known.

Cambria City 
When I ran into this part of Johnstown, my feet were on the same streets where Ethnic Fest is celebrated each year. I tell myself that all the pierogies I ate in September are training food for Morley's.

JWF
This Iron Street business is a sign that the finish line is near. I recently attended a leadership seminar where the Chief Operating Officer of JWF spoke about the importance of giving back to your community. He expressed gratitude for the opportunities in his life. I was grateful for the physical health to complete these 5 miles and a simple message of a local business leader - be good to people and give back to the place that you call home.

Peoples Natural Gas Park 
As a train passed through town, I crossed the finish line at the site of my wedding reception. This park is a great venue, hosting events like Flood City Music Festival and Brews and Blues in the Valley. I beat my goal time and got celebratory hugs from my wife and daughter. My 22-month-old believed the best way to celebrate was to share one of the sugar cookies offered to runners. We listened to a band cover Neil Young's Harvest Moon as we walked to the Subaru.

Friendly Faces
While the sights make Morley's Run a fun autumn run, it is the people that make the event what it is. The police officers and volunteers who clear the path and give encouragement along the way. The friend who has competed in so many races with me over the past decade. She always beats me and I have no ambition to top her times. The county commissioner who runs in so many local races and is always ready for a high-five or handshake. The cousin who collects the same racing shirts that I do and is also on a Dad quest to stay forever young. The nurse practitioner by weekday /determined runner by weekend who helps so many families, including our own, prepare for having a baby.  The dozens of people I recognize on race day who make up a dedicated, Johnstown community.


Each November, Morley's Run showcases some of the best people and places Johnstown has to offer.








No comments:

Post a Comment