Friday, December 23, 2016

Remember, Run, Resolution

This is the time of year for lists. What we want for Christmas. What we want to do in the new year. This is not one of those lists. It is a mapped out, familiar journey that I am blessed to be able to do.

Starting from the Saint Michael's church parking lot, I take off and head for the Caddy Trail. This was the path for boys and young men to go from the forest to Sunnehanna Country Club. I doubt any caddies still adventure through the woods to arrive at the golf course, but I think about that history as I jog on through.

At this time of year, the terrain is challenging; a mix of snow, ice, mud, and rocks. I run by the commemoration of an old mine shaft. While I am experiencing the adversities of being a runner, I daydream about how intense the life of a miner must have been. I surge toward the park's main pavilion. I'd rather run than mine.

Across the bridge I go and the uphill battle begins. The steady climb flattens out on the Our Mother of Sorrows field. It is temporary relief. The OMOS ramp awaits. Back in the day, my grade school's ramp was the launching pad for boyhood bonanza. I remember running up and down that paved hill with reckless joy. In fatherhood, I now must ascend with determination.

Upon reaching the front of the church, I take a break. Just inside the front door is a sanctuary. In 2016, it became a place for me to catch my breath and express gratitude. It is a candlelit room with a special stillness and silence. The sound of my huffs and puffs do not extinguish any candles. Those hard breaths make me appreciate the health that got me to this point.

Back in the great outdoors, I run once more. Down Tioga Street, I cross Bucknell and head for the Inclined Plane. I remember the Christmas dinner I had the night before with my wife. I've almost burned off the Asiago's pasta. It is all downhill from here.

Down Erie Street and back onto Bucknell, the hill will lead me home. As my knees get older, I imagine the declines will be just as daunting as the inclines, but for now, I cruise to my finish. The Saint Michael statue is there to celebrate my run. "Saint Michael, the archangel, defend us in battle..."

I say this prayer to bring my run to a close. While resolutions serve a purpose, I think it is important to reflect and remember too. To Johnstown runners and hikers, this path is scenic, challenging, and worthwhile.

In 2017, I'll try to remember what is important. This Christmas and in this new year, I hope to have the physical, emotional, and spiritual health that powered me through 2016.






No comments:

Post a Comment