Saturday, December 3, 2016

Santa Strong

Over the past few months, the Saint Michael's community room has evolved into an all-purpose space. On the first Friday of December, I carried my daughter and a yoga mat to the church. What a way to get another wild weekend started...

This was the 3rd Kids Night Out. Each event has had activities and active adults planning projects to attract kids. Back in my grade school days, the class I feared the most was art. Cutting, crafting, folding, molding, measuring, and treasuring did not sit well with me. In fact, I sat nervous. Persevere and make it to gym class.

With that in mind, I combined forces with a friend who shares the same passion for trying to be healthy and giving kids a healthy outlet. She has the creative touch with artistic expression. I'd much rather press my hands on a yoga mat and do push-ups. She loves watching a kid enjoy a healthy snack. I love seeing a youngster feel accomplished after doing as many jumping jacks as he can. While art and gym are not peanut butter and jelly, it made for an enjoyable Saint Michael's sandwich on Friday night.

Kids participated in a Santa workout with me while my crafty pal led the artwork charge. At times, it was chaotic. Like kangaroos, kids bounced back and forth - art to gym, art to gym. Art projects were completed. Push-ups, sit-ups, jumping jacks, squats, and planks were performed. Attempts at yoga meditation were made. Everyone had a great time. Kids took home a Santa workout certification and a bird's nest built with tender care (I did not build a nest).

Two middle school boys battled back and forth in the Santa workout. I held down feet for sit-ups. I was the mediator when there was controversy. Ultimately, the three of us went out to the parking lot for the tie-breaker race - a telephone pole to telephone pole sprint. The race did not change the outcome. It was still a tie, but I like to think everyone was victorious.

Water and oranges replenished the Santa workout champions. Christmas cookies were available as well. Even the healthiest of elves has a cookie every now and then,

When I got home, I felt good about what we did. I thanked God for the health to lead the Santa workout and the friend who put a different kind of work and effort in. We built confidence, relationships, and some of us, a bird's nest.

Above all, we built a sense of community.




No comments:

Post a Comment