Sunday, December 18, 2016

True Meaning

In a world of reality television and fake news, Christmas might be the most opportune time to dive into the words "true meaning".  Or, it might be a time to shop like a madman.

During this December, I have thought about or tried to think about "true meaning". It is a simple phrase with mind boggling possibility. First, I hate shopping so this gave me more time to boggle my mind. So, rather than be a madman at the mall, I prop my feet up and think about "true meaning" before my daughter yawns her way into her almost-2-year-old-madness. 

Just before the Christmas marketing season began, I thought about the idea of a blog. Actually, a friend of mine talked about blogging and a daydream occurred. We talked about quitting our jobs, traveling the world, and writing. Her husband and my wife let us dream that dream. It was out loud at another 2-year-old's birthday party. Was there true meaning in that daydream?  I am not sure, but it sparked Positive Johnstown. 

I think "true meaning" starts with gratitude. I am thankful for the friend who helped dream up this blog. At Christmas, I am thankful for the birth that I believe sparked life itself. Over the past year, I have done a lot of reflecting, discussing, self-mind-boggling, praying, parenting, experiencing, working, and worrying. I feel less worry and more "days be merry and bright" these days. And that has nothing to do with the political direction of our country or where an elf is positioned. 

Unfortunately, this blog post is not going to end with a mind blowing revelation on "true meaning". I am still searching. My hope is to keep thinking. Self-discovery is another two word mind racer. 

I'm all for the search and discovery to continue in Johnstown. I challenge myself and everyone to find something positive and run with it. That just might be the way to find true meaning. There certainly will be distractions. Real news and fake news often make you feel more like Eeyore, less like Tigger. 

And my daughter is about to get up. We will watch Winnie the Pooh Christmas once more. And without a doubt, that means something to her. It means something to me too.

When she gets older, I'll do my best explaining how the birth of Jesus made Pooh possible. 

Seize the day. Seize Christmas.







No comments:

Post a Comment