Saturday, March 4, 2017

The Small, Mighty Group

There is something about being a part of something. While personal space and solitude are often desirable, the pursuit of belonging is in our nature. This sense of belonging often develops with a sense of community. In my hometown, that sense continues to strengthen.

In order for a group to form, someone needs to reach out to someone else. This is obvious, but often is not easy. For a long time, I had been a part of a large group known as church. There was not a lot to it and not a lot to break down. I walked into a building and stayed there for around an hour. I was surrounded by people. I left and planned on coming back seven days later dependent on next weekend's schedule.

Someone helped change that routine. He is the priest at Our Mother of Sorrows, but I think of him more as a community leader. Since coming to this Johnstown parish, he has led an initiative. His sermons sounded more like challenges. He stepped down from the pulpit, literally and figuratively. Scripture and spiritual life seemed to be open for reflection and interpretation. Refreshing is the best way to describe his impact.

 I did not agree with everything he said and believed. That was okay. It was not about agreeing. It was about an eye-and-heart-opening experience greater than me, him, or whomever. It was and is about a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Once that door was opened, the sense of belonging and community grew.

I began to experience church. I was no longer simply surrounded by people in a building. Instead of using a church mouse voice, I sang more like I was in the shower. Instead of a rush to leave, I had a rush of thoughts related to my spiritual life. Adrenaline started pumping; one, because of that refreshed feeling; two, because my growing daughter has made each and every mass an unpredictable celebration. She is a part of that celebratory community.

The next challenge was to take that bigger crowd and make big steps through small groups. There is certainly strength in numbers, but smaller group discussions could be an opportunity to experience more. My wife and I were on board and a ridiculous revelation was upon us - spiritual life was not limited to Sundays. This was the "Hallelujah moment " of our marriage.

We completed the ALPHA course. I led Service Saturday work projects in Stackhouse Park. We hosted a small group at our house. Saint's Michael's parish became a Friday night safe haven for "Kids Night Out". Small group ideas were put into action. My wife and I visited different churches and celebrated our faith at a coffee shop. By breaking the routine, I am building that ultimate relationship.

During this Lenten season, I am seated in another small group. The birth of our second child might impact perfect attendance, but for today, we are in. And each and every day, I am trying to have a spiritual experience; to celebrate my blessings; to contribute to the community in a positive and purposeful way; to challenge myself knowing that something greater is at work.

I play a small role in a small group.

Thank you, Father Mark.












No comments:

Post a Comment