Monday, June 5, 2017

Thanks and Tour

Downtown Johnstown was alive and well the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. For the fourth springtime, Taste and Tour has been a circuit of success. Local businesses - 35 in all - came together to make a map full of food, fun, and fellowship.

My experience began on the Inclined Plane. I rode that vehicular wonder down the steep track. As I waited to board, two kayakers were getting off the Inclined after a day in the Stonycreek water. On my descent, a wedding party was waving from below; small kids shuffled toward the gate. The sun was out. It was a great day to head downtown.

In line with my memories from previous years, Taste and Tour 2017 was a maze of family, friends, and neighbors bouncing from business to business. There is a spirit and sprint to it all - make the most out of four touring hours in the city. Those hours flew by and the businesses stayed. Tomorrow was another day for the small business owner.

Taste and Tour is an eye-opener to the hard work and dedication happening on the streets surrounding Central Park. Do not limit yourself to one day a year downtown. Days after Taste and Tour, my wife and I turned the same touring streets into our 4th wedding anniversary celebration. We ate lunch at Flood City Cafe. We got a couples massage at The Vault. We were happy, Johnstown parents blessed by eager babysitters and another sunny day in the neighborhood.

Before picking up our daughters and after an excellent meal at Back Door Cafe, the happily married man and woman looked out over the Inclined Plane observation deck. Looking down at the city below, I remembered our Peoples Natural Gas Park wedding reception. Our celebration was the venue's first ever wedding reception. Four years and two children later, I've got so much more to celebrate. I'm still dancing. My ankles might crack and my hips might have less swivel, but I am still dancing. 

In one month, my brother gets married at another outstanding Johnstown venue - The Grand Halle on Broad Street. Seven days after that, I will be back at Peoples Natural Gas Park for a coworker's wedding reception.  Just like those kids shuffling toward the Inclined Plane, I am excited for the summer ahead. 

Our growing family has been blessed by the city they call home; by the businesses who provide food, entertainment, and relaxation; by the business men and women who make a living on the historic streets of my hometown. 

Downtown Johnstown and Cambria City have some gems. They are not hiding. 

Celebrate. Support. And of course, dance.






No comments:

Post a Comment