Sunday, June 25, 2017

Rain, Thunder and Light

"Praise the Lord, O my soul
Praise the Maker of heaven and earth"

If there was a day to complain about rain in Johnstown, it was Friday, June 23, 2017. It rained and rained and rained.

As I made my way over Ligonier Mountain, my Subaru was surrounded by streams and pools. There is a damper and dread to summer rain, but when you have a 2-year-old, positivity prevails.

Upon getting home, she was ready to go for a walk. I put on my rain jacket. She decided to put on two rain jackets. We were poised to pick out puddles and then let our feet do the work. We stomped and stomped and stomped. While much of the community was under cover, this twosome was circling Saint Michael's church in a silly, puddle search.

Meanwhile, the rumble of Thunder in the Valley was getting washed out. I would never get on a motorcycle. There would be no thrill in that travel and I know too much tragedy and not enough triumph associated with the motorcycle. Still, Thunder is good for Johnstown. We need to draw people in - bikers, hikers, kayakers, runners, festival folk, college kids, and more. There are a lot of community members making that push. While I cannot comment on how this year's motorcycle rally was, I applaud the event organizers and volunteers who put time and energy into the experience. The only way to become a destination is by being as relentless as Friday's rain.

By Sunday, the rain was a memory. That same daughter of mine was strapped in my hiking pack as we sang our way through Stackhouse Park. Rain or shine, she is excited by animal sightings. Before any critters crawled out, she passed out. In a sweeping motion, I extracted her from the pack and into my arms. Onward to the pavilion, I carried that blonde, 30+ pound sack of potatoes. The sun shined bright.

When I made it to the heart of the park, I found refuge on a stream bench. With no concept of time, I listened to the water rush by. It was a blessed moment to sit back and soak it in - a sleeping 2-year-old, a beautiful landscape, a grateful Dad.

Our post-nap hike had the animal attractions we were waiting for - dogs, birds, chipmunks, and even a snake to spice things up. As the animal expert, I was asked if the snake was a Daddy, Mommy, or baby snake. With only a few seconds to classify the slithery reptile, I went with Daddy. Our uphill exit from Stackhouse included an overview of the animal kingdom we discovered.

My 2-year-old hiker was rewarded with Shaffer's Frosty Freeze once we returned to civilization. We reunited with Mom and Baby Sis and off we went to the greatest ice cream stand in all the land.  Just when the excitement level couldn't get any higher, we saw six turkeys hanging out in a field on Coon Ridge Road with a rainbow peaking out of the clouds. Our weekend was complete.

The next time it rains, and I am sure it will be soon, I am going to imagine that little girl putting on two rain coats.

Sometimes the dreariest of days bring out those who shine the brightest.








No comments:

Post a Comment