Sunday, July 2, 2017

My Brother is Married

It was 1:00 P.M. yesterday when my brother entered into the married club. Before, during, and after the vows, pairs ruled the day:

Coffee and Pizza
It might sound like an unlikely pair to start a wedding day, but that's how the wedding men kicked it off. My brother and I shared a Jamaican Paradise coffee from Mill House Cafe before the rest of the goof troop arrived at my humble abode. When the groomsmen /goofmen made their entrance, Clark's Corner Store breakfast pizza was devoured by one and all. I am thankful for the two local businesses that provided the morning fuel for the day's journey.

Flowers and Girl
Our 2-year-old daughter was assigned to the petals. The Grand Halle has an intimidating track to the altar and my daughter is not real big on staying on paths. She's a party animal. She's a singer. She's a trooper. At times, she's a clinger...to her mother.

So, her procession was not perfect, but neither is marriage. The flower petals were distributed and then the real show began. I think I was more nervous viewing my daughter at my brother's wedding than being the soon-to-be-husband at my own celebration. As Pastor Dave read from the heart, my beautiful flower girl was losing her mind. I stood sweaty and silent, like a proud Dad and good brother should.

Let the magic happen.

Music and Bus
After eclipsing the age of 30, you start to realize some things. On a bus full of 20-somethings, my wife and I were the lost generation. For a few hours, we did not have to parent our small children and got to hear songs we never heard before. We were used to the Trolls and Zootopia soundtrack.  Seated on the bus, we were in a different type of zoo. I did not know some of the newer, hip-hop songs. I still use the term, hip-hop. My wife used the term, "jazzy beats".

We had a great time. Referencing another movie...from Wedding Crashers:

"We are not that young."

 No, no we are not. Good for you, you 20-somethings. Thanks for letting us crash your bus.

Coaches and Players
There was a decorated group of Westmont Hilltop basketball players at the wedding. My brother's senior year was a historic season and many of his teammates suited up on this day. As the older athlete, I endure the commentary from far and wide on basketball legacy. Critics contend my brother's basketball resume and records give him the upper hand.

Rather than debate, I simply took a picture of that decorated group. Everyone was smiling. I reminded then that I was in the stands when they lost in the playoffs.

Cheers.

Young and Old
The dance floor does not care about when you graduated high school. It does not discriminate. My brother and his beautiful bride did a choreographed number to turn that floor into lava.  From there, it was a volcanic mix of slides and shakes. As I type this sentence, my left knee is a little bit sore.

I could still beat my brother in 1 on 1 basketball.

Husband and Wife
I hope my brother and my new sister enjoyed their day. I certainly did. I got to see family, friends and neighbors celebrate. We celebrated in the community where my brother and I grew up. The same community where my daughters are growing big and strong. I danced beside the first kid I ever babysat. She just finished her first year in college. I took a picture with my high school basketball coach. The behind-the-scenes guy that gets everything rocking and rolling at the Grand Halle has a son who was on my Little League baseball team.

People and weddings come and go. On this Sunday, I'll hold on to some great memories. Johnstown has blessed me with a lot. Congratulations to the new husband and wife. They are quite the pair.

And some day, they'll be in their 30s.

Every day is an adventure and there is always something to celebrate.

Be grateful for your family, friends, and neighbors.








No comments:

Post a Comment