Saturday, July 29, 2017

Two Great Escapes

The final two weekends of this July gave two parents a lot of perspective. The first was spent a time zone away. The second was in our hometown.

For the first time as parents to two young daughters, my wife and I had a weekend away. We flew to Chicago for the wedding of one of my graduate school friends. While driving to the Pittsburgh airport, it was weird not having the backseat babbles. Our children are blessed with grandparents who welcomed our parental escape. It was a smooth ride to the Windy City.

We used Uber to ride around one of the country's most populous cities. At first, our Uber effort was unsatisfactory. We took a $2.00 cancellation charge on the chin.  My oldest daughter would have used the term "silly goose" to describe this first go-around. By the time we booked our last pick-up, my wife and I were confident Uber-bodies.

For a weekend, big city life is fine, but I know I am a small town USA Dad. I was ready to come home, smell the grass, and complain about having to cut that same grass. My wife and I have traveled across the country and off the mainland. Our goal is to see all 50 states and maybe find our way to an island every now and then, but Johnstown is home. Our Pennsylvania hometown is far from tropical, but it's where we want to be.

The next weekend - on one of those rainy, summer Johnstown nights - we escaped once more. Escape Rooms Johnstown on Clinton Street is where our Elite 8 saved the world. The Virus is a complex and catastrophic challenge. There is nothing like family and friends trying to prevent a deadly disease from spreading. The architects of The Virus are sick people - genius level mindbenders who provide puzzle after puzzle, panic after panic. With 4 minutes left on the clock, we found the cure. It was a mix of jubilation, relief, and shock that we pulled it off.

As my wife and I ran through the rain back to the car, we smiled and savored saving the human race. Somewhat soaked, we started the Subaru and drove back to see our kids. We didn't tell them about our Escape Room heroics; they wouldn't understand. Those girls were just happy to have Mom and Dad back.

Escaping is great, but there is nothing like coming home.

No comments:

Post a Comment