Monday, November 6, 2017

Morley's and Morals

For the sixth consecutive November, I ran in the 5-mile Morley's Run. I have learned some lessons, or shall I say, morals, over the years. Here's to you, Morley:

Moral: 5 miles is about as far as I want to run.

I could do a 10K or 6.2 miles, but the next day my daughter would look at me and say, "Dad, why do you look sad?"  There is a 10-mile Morley's option each year. I never choose this option because I am trying to teach my children to stay away from things that make them sad.

Moral: Getting my daughter dressed is emotionally harder than running 5 miles.

My soon-to-be three year old routinely and falsely accuses me of incompetence when it comes to getting ready for the day. My initiative and aid are protested and these protests are not peaceful. "Mom" is hooted and hollered. I change my other daughter's diaper, prepare my breakfast, or both, while wondering if and when the protests will end.

Moral: Never turn back going downhill.

In the middle of Stackhouse this year, a runner and I were stride for stride. He looked at me and said, "This is the 10 mile, right". I answered honestly. He swore. I encouraged him to win the 5-mile.

Moral: Never say never.

Will I ever run a long distance run again?  I did do a half marathon and the Tough Mudder before. Will I father another child? I do love those two little girls.

Moral: Quit while you are ahead.

5 miles is enough. 2 children is enough.  How do people have 5 children? 

Moral: Mr. Rogers got it right.

Mr. Rogers has nothing to do with Morley's Run, but there is a neighborly love when it comes to this event. I feel like I am part of the Johnstown running community. That comes with a lot of handshakes, high-fives, and race shirts. Race t-shirts and long sleeve shirts make up somewhere between 40-45% of my waist-up-clothing. You know this is true because I used the term, waist-up-clothing.

My mother, wife, and daughters congratulated me on my 6th Morley's 5-mile finish. My youngest daughter appeared happy to see me, although unable to communicate her true feelings. My oldest daughter was happily dressed and I was happy I did not have to dress her. She and I danced to the race day band's version of The Weight, a 1968 classic from The Band. My daughter prefers The Muppets version available on YouTube and recorded in 2014. Times have changed, but "take a load off Fanny, take a load for free" never gets old.

We danced on the same ground where I danced with my wife on our wedding day. Peoples Natural Gas Park is where our wedding reception was held. It is where our family officially started. It is where my official 5-mile time was logged once more.

One day, my daughters will both be teenagers. Maybe, they will be running with me. Maybe, I will be running from them. Hopefully, I'll still be running.

Cheers to Morley, the race's organizers and volunteers, family, friends, and neighbors who make Johnstown what it is.





No comments:

Post a Comment