Sunday, November 12, 2017

Johnstown: The Positive Moment

"Make it your aim to do what is right"

This Old Testament quote is what gives me a sense of direction on this Sunday night. Words, especially this week in Johnstown, are too often used as a weapon. Since I started this blog roughly a year ago, my aim was to tell positive stories; to capture worthwhile moments in and around Johnstown.

That aim was initiated by faith and inspired by family. The stories would be told from experience. I would not have to make anything up. I would resist the temptation to criticize or complain. I would strike hard with humor. I would be optimistic because that is my nature - to live with a grateful edge.

The delusion would be the idea that nothing is wrong. Journalism has become so absorbed by conflict, scandal, and gloom that telling exclusively positive stories is somewhat outrageous as outrage is everywhere. From a very childish standpoint, I wanted to share good and I still do. I don't tell my daughter to "walk over to the neighbor's house and tell her everything bad about today". Social media sharing sometimes feels like that except your neighbor is everyone with Internet access.

So, if you are reading this, you are an Internetter. Warning - this is going to stay positive. I'm not going to pull a switcharoo because some other storyteller made a big splash in the pool. I was Dory for Halloween. Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming. 

Just keep positive blogging. Just keep positive blogging. 

I'm going to stay the course. I am going to try to outrace Negative Nancy and all her buddies. And when I cross the finish line, I am going to try to recruit Negative Nancy. She is my neighbor and she can evolve into Positive Nancy. It might take a lot of work and it should. Change is hard and it takes time.

In what felt like a chaotic week for me, I found some inner peace this Sunday. "Make it your aim to do what is right" was my trumpet blast. This quote was a part of Cafe Sunday at Mill House Cafe. Friends and neighbors gathered to honor Jesus, a man who never had Twitter, but had a handle on everything. After that experience, our family went to the 11:00 A.M. mass at Our Mother of Sorrows.

My youngest daughter served as a cyclone in my hands. It was a bouncy Dad-daughter mass battle. When she fell asleep during the closing hymn, I declared victory. My wife was holding the heavier sack of potatoes and joyfully bobbing up and down. And then the moment happened.

When the choir - an energized, soulful, inspiring choir - finished the song, a round of applause rang out. A church - a community - clapped in appreciation. It was as if the daughter I was clutching was struck by lightning. She popped up from my drool shoulder, startled by the noise. I could only smile.

How she fell asleep during that last hymn is beyond me, but that applause got her attention. It caught her by surprise. She quickly went from startled to peaceful once more, but her reaction made me stop and think. I'd like to think she was comforted by the applause. Maybe, she thought the parishioners were cheering for her. In a weird way, I think they were.

No matter where you live, cheer for those who are doing it right. Take time to share positive thoughts and stories. Allow your shoulder to provide some comfort. I know one day I'll wish I had the drool shoulder days back.

Sleep well, Johnstown. Don't be scared by the noise. Drown them out with applause.








No comments:

Post a Comment