Monday, March 19, 2018

The Irish in Us

 Our 1st daughter was born exactly 10 months after my wife and I boarded a plane to Ireland in 2014. On Saint Patrick's Day 2017, our 2nd daughter entered the world.  We've been blessed by some sort of Irish magic. Today, those two girls are growing and eating all the marshmallows out of the Lucky Charms box. Magically delicious.

This year, we celebrated our Saint Patrick's Day baby surrounded by family, friends, and Irish reminders - tales, songs, and signs of our connection to the Emerald Isle. We did not eat a Full Irish breakfast this holiday, a traditional plate dominated by meat. Google searching "Full Irish" will clog your arteries. My wife and I did not think blood sausage should be on the birthday breakfast menu. Some Irish traditions need not come home. In all its chaotic glory for Saint Patrick's Day 2018, I ate the most important meal of the day with the most important people in my life - that birthday girl, her wild and bright 3-year-old sister, and the mother who keeps our boat afloat. The main course was eggs and as always, a lot of food ended up on the floor.

For lunch, we went to the Boulevard Grill, our home away from home. As our family and appetites have grown, the Boulevard has been our celebratory stomping grounds. Their Irish menu satisfied our Saint Patrick souls. Before leaving, our eldest and wisest child stated, "I wish this was my place". Thanks to all the Boulevard staff who make all our family nights out feel like a holiday.

Pre-birthday party. I got a glorious nap in with my birthday girl. Pre-napping with my birthday girl, I got a nap in with the daughter who wants to live at the Boulevard. It was a triumphant sequence of snoozing for this father. Taking care of my daughters while they rest is my Dad duty. Serve by sleeping.

On Saint Patrick's Day evening, we were all awake. Friends and family filled our basement for a jolly, green time. Children frolicked as Irish songs filled the air. No one was injured, but some feelings were hurt. My oldest daughter was traumatized by the idea of the party ending. Her sister, the birthday party recipient, gladly went to bed.

As my girls grow, I imagine Saint Patrick's Day will present unique challenges. Every day as a parent is a challenge. Allegedly, teenage girls are a challenge like no other.

For now, I'll enjoy the naps.

Saint Patrick, pray for us.












No comments:

Post a Comment