Sunday, March 4, 2018

NatureWorks!

On Saturday morning, our troop headed to Bottle Works for an interactive event known as NatureWorks. It was free, fun, and a free-for-all for our little squirts and many other regional squirts. It was an excellent showcase of community, education, and spring fever. Here is what I learned:

1) You can never go wrong with gigantic building blocks.

As an adult and ex-child, I gravitate toward building blocks. Advanced architecture never was my thing, but elementary block building is in my wheel house. NatureWorks had a three + foot high tower of blocks. My oldest daughter enjoyed being a human wrecking ball dressed in a camouflage T-shirt. There was nothing stealthy about her building block destruction. Once she got the go ahead from friendly staff, she wrecked it like Ralph.

2) When an expert says you can pet a snake, you can pet a snake.

Not exactly sure what her credentials were, but a snake-holding young lady made it clear that this slithery guy was fine to touch. In nature, I recommend not touching snakes. I have no reptilian credentials, but my parental instinct is to never encourage my children to touch Mother Nature's serpents.

3) My girls were made for the water.

At the Benscreek Canoe Club exhibit, both my daughters got experience in a kayak, My three-year-old put on a helmet, grabbed a paddle and let her imagination run wild. My almost one-year-old just enjoyed being in the vessel. No helmet. No paddle. All smiles.

4)  Thanksgiving is not the only time to talk turkey.

A turkey expert, not a pilgrim, educated us on the gobbler. We enjoyed touching feathers and recognized that this bird is not just a November meal.

5) If you are awesome at painting fish, you paint fish.

Our family met a fishy artist named Ryan Keene who had a display of his water colored, aquatic animals. He humorously pointed out that there was not a lot of ecological diversity in his paintings. The man knows how to bring fish to life through art. In addition to his fish skills, he grows an awesome beard on his face. Thanks, Ryan - great artistic and facial hair work.

6)  Race season is almost here.

The Johnstown Running Club, a yellow T-shirt herd you may have seen zipping around town, had a sneak preview setup of regional runs. While I'm not an official JRC member, I've enjoyed running around Johnstown's neighborhoods and supporting local causes via foot. I'm signed up for the Wings of Hope, scheduled for Easter Saturday, and I am looking forward to the 2018 race season. A shout out to JRC and their dedication to staying active and promoting local events.

7)  We are not ready to fly fish.

The one hands-on exhibit our family did not go hands on was the fly fishing setup. It looked cool, but I'd rather touch the snake. I just imagined my daughters being entangled in fishing line and screaming.

8)  Ink stamping animal tracks is pure art.

In a corner pocket area of Bottle Works, kids got to stamp a variety of tracks in a range of colors. It was a vibrant, jolly good time. My oldest daughter and I made a Michelangeloesque mix of claws and paws.

9) A bike has 2 wheels and LHORBA has 6 letters.

The Laurel Highlands On and Off Road Bicycling Association (LHORBA) is a western PA cycling group that seizes the day on trails, mountains, and roads. As a family of four, we anticipate more pedaling adventures in the years to come. We took home a red LHORBA key chain to inspire us to power through the training wheels and take advantage of the local biking scene.

10) It is fun to watch something and someone grow.

My three-year-old created a mix of dirt and seeds to start a growing process. We took instructions home on how to make this ball of potential into a plant. My father inherited this ball of dirt as he is the expert gardener in our family tree.

My daughters are growing fast and it has been a blessed, full speed ahead journey. NatureWorks was a fantastic family event. The myth that nothing is happening in Johnstown was debunked on Saturday. On our rivers and streams, on our roads and trails, in the minds and hearts of our community's kids, there is a lot going on.

Be a part of the adventure.






No comments:

Post a Comment