Thursday, November 8, 2018

Forever Running

As long as I can remember, I've been running. Once I learned how to get on my feet, the overall impression was that I liked to keep a steady pace. I gravitated toward sports, jailbreak, and getting enough speed to jump over the bushes. From grade school to high school to college, I kept running. I was no longer jumping over bushes, but there always seemed to be a hurdle I was determined to get over.

Gavin Gladding was a runner too. On September 16th of this year, he laced up for the last time. I learned about his final run on the morning of November 3rd as I laced up for my final road race of 2018. Morley's Run has been my 5-mile autumn challenge for the past seven Novembers.

Standing in the cold before the race, I got an extra chill learning about Gavin; learning that runs across the country, including Morley's, would be dedicated in his memory. He was a victim of a hit-and-run. He left behind two kids and a wife. After a moment of silence, the Morley's herd took off.

Like on most runs I go on, my mind swirled with thoughts. Often, my brain seems to race harder than my feet. Attacking the final mile, I saw a dedication sign for Gavin. It was time to pick up the pace. There at the finish line were my two kids and wife. I could hear them cheering for me before I could see them. They will never know how much I appreciate those cheers.

In the days after the race, I've thought about Gavin a lot. I never met him, but I think we would have enjoyed each other's company. Reading about his life - being a running Dad; having a passion for helping kids; being a champion of the great outdoors - I saw ... I see much of  myself in him. His obituary states "Gavin believed in experiential learning, for his own children, his students, and for himself." That's a defining sentence that this writer absolutely believes.

When I started this blog a little over 2 years ago, I was not sure what it would become. Like runs, each writing is different; each with its own unique adrenaline pump; each and every one, all 88 of them, read by my wife before reaching others. She is my editor and best friend. She loathes running, but loves my writing. I once convinced her to run a 5K with me. We have not ran together since, but I'll never forget her crossing that finish line.

I look forward to the runs ahead and chasing after my daughters with my wife - that's a true marathon. As the miles, blogs, and years add up, I hope to live out Gavin's belief; to learn through experience. Across the country, his life was celebrated this running season. In the races ahead, I'll try to keep his memory on my mind, but who knows where my feet will take my brain.

Experience your community. Be a good neighbor. Hug your wife and kids (even if you are sweaty at the finish line). Remember Gavin.















No comments:

Post a Comment