Sunday, November 18, 2018

Movie Review: The Grinch

Historically, I do not like the idea of Christmas cheer before Thanksgiving, but sometimes you have to bundle up and head to Whoville in November with your 3-year-old. Please enjoy this Dad review from our screening @ Westwood Plaza and Theatre.

Before entering the theatre, I take an obligatory photo of my daughter and The Grinch movie poster. Happy child poses with miserable green creature.

We order our food and our reward was a magical candle. This candle symbolizes that our grub is on the way. This Westwood Plaza tradition dates back to the 17th century.

My 3-year-old creature knocks over the candle. Shards of glass mix with fallen popcorn. I describe the tragedy to a teenage worker. He points me toward the janitorial corner. I emerge with a dust pan and industrial broom. I emerge a hero. The previews have not started.

My cousin and her 2nd grade daughter arrive. We share a row. I've made this point before, but it's worth repeating - when taking kids to a movie theatre, you need 2 seats per person. So, on this evening, we had 8 seats to choose from.

During the previews, the 2nd grader drops her popcorn somewhere between seats 2-4. There is no way I can approach the teenage worker and deliver another mishap story. I refuse to go back into the janitoral corner. My cousin escapes to get more popcorn. The majesty of bottomless popcorn.

The Grinch finally arrives. It feels like we have been in popcorn row for an hour. One of my first questions is how did The Grinch become a dog owner?  They must not do background checks in Whoville. I also imagine that The Grinch is one of those people who says, "Having a dog is like having a kid". That's pure nonsense. Having a kid is like having 101 Dalmatians. 

The Grinch proves to be committed to physical fitness. His electric pink workout clothes spark my daughter's attention and my memory.  I have only bought my daughter one outfit. It was a pink and purple Nike workout suit. I bought it for her months before she was born. It was a 2T. I had no idea what "2T" meant when I bought it. Thank you, Macy's. The "T" in "2T" stands for Terrific.

There is a screaming goat in The Grinch. This alpine animal is not important in the plot, but the Illumination brain trust made the right call. "Kids will love a screaming goat. Find a way to get the screaming goat into the script. Move aside, Benedict Cumberbatch"

My daughter loves music so she was pleasantly surprised by The Grinch as a piano player. I will not call him a pianist. I will not call him a pianist because children will easily misinterpet pianist. Amazingly, my 3-year-old did not have to go potty during the movie. Winner, winner, popcorn dinner!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving, Johnstown. Take care of your kids and dogs and any other creatures in your humble abode.
























No comments:

Post a Comment